Thursday, July 24, 2014

T


Tuff Turf (1985)

Rated R

112 Minutes

Directed by Fritz Kiersch (Children of The Corn, The Swamp Thing TV Series)

Reasons that it's a Frank Movie:

1.  Spader & Robert Downey, Jr.

They are about to be reunited on film in Avengers: Age of Ultron, and, because of that, I guarantee that references to fellow Frank Movie, Less Than Zero will be abundant.  No one will dare mention, Tuff Turf, though.  And maybe that's wise, because I will always associate Spader with Rip, and to this day I don't see RD2 as anyone but Julian in the hotel room.  To this day.  But, none of Spader's work had this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC-hSBRsXMk

It's so terrible, it's beautiful.

And, the $75,000,000 man never had a better moment.  This song is actually awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UK25HRSbWw

Ah... the industrial punk of the 1980's.

2.  Frankie.

I mean besides just the name.  For all of the 80's movie babes, Kim Richards is the unsung cream of the crop,

 
Yes, for all of you old fogeys, that's this Kim Richards:
 
 
And, yes, for all of you RHOBH fans, that's this Kim Richards:
 
Roll your eyes if you must, but Frankie was a total smokeshow, and if you don't believe me, I offer:
 
 
3.  Jack Mack and The Heart Attack.
 
 
I told ya...
 
p.s.  Jack Mack and The Heart Attack is the most underappreciated band of all-time.  Like, how did The Fabulous Thunderbirds make it, and Jack Mack not.  Sure, Jack looks like Arn Anderson, but still...
 
 
 
p.s.s.  When I renew my vows in 7 years, if they're still alive, I'm hiring Jack Mack to play at our party.  Don't miss it.
 
I'd post a review, but no one in the world liked this film.  I own it.  Like on DVD.  I had to buy a pirated Chinese bootleg off the internet, but I own Tuff Turf.  PM me if you want to borrow it.  I may have the last copy.
 
 
 
 
Runner-up:  2 Days in The Valley (1996)
 
Rated R
 
112 Minutes
 
Directed by John Herzfeld (Don King: Only in America)
 
Budget:  Peanuts
 
Box Office:  $11,132,900
 
Reasons that it's a Frank Movie:
 
1.  Spader.  Again. 
 
I'm not saying that he's a Frank Actor, but the evidence is becoming overwhelming.  Apparently, I should be more excited about Avengers 2.  And, he's so much more believable as the villain.
 
 
 
 
2.  The Introduction of Charlize Theron.
 
The greatest thing to ever come out of South Africa.  Including Mandella.  Top 5.  Laminated.  Mostly because of this...
 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcLvRIt2pTo

A pure masterpiece of cinema.

Honorable mentions:  Three o'clock High (1987), Trespass (1992), The Town (2010)


 
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment