Monday, June 23, 2014

Q


Quigley Down Under (1990)

Rated PG-13

Directed by Simon Wincer (Harley Davidson and The Marlboro Man, Free Willy, The Phantom)

Budget - $21,000,000

Box Office - $21,413,105

Ok.  So, I could pad this list with lots of fluff.  I could've added "Quicksilver".  It's an 80's movie starring Ren McCormack and Jimmy Jump as bike messengers.  But the truth is, I never watch it.  It bores me.  I could add "The Quick and The Dead".  Dirty whore Sharon Stone,  the great Gene Hackman, General Maximus, and the guy I believe is the greatest actor of the new generation, Leo.  But, the truth is, I never watch it.  It bores me.  Stone is unwatchable.  Lastly, I could throw in "Quiz Show".  Redford directing Ralph Fiennes and John Turturro.  It is good.  But, it would be a lie to call it a Frank Movie.  Nope, the fact is: of the letter "Q", the only Frank Movie is "Quigley Down Under".  Here's why:

1.  It's culturally defining.

The Sharps .45/110 Buffalo Rifle that Tom Selleck uses in the film has become so attached to the film that they now call them "Quigley guns".  The unbelievable long-distance accuracy that his character exhibits in the film has caused modern-day US Army snipers to dub a particularly long-distance and accurate kill, "A Quigley."  That's amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73hl--IMoWU

 
2.  Alan Rickman.
 
Ok.  His defining role is as Hans Gruber, and it should be.  Greatest movie villain of all time.  But, his role as Elliot Marston is a pretty close 2nd. 
 
 
 
3.  Crazy Cora.
 
Most of you reading this will identify Laura San Giacomo as Kot De Luca in "Pretty Woman" or, dare I suggest, Maya from "Just Shoot Me", but here best role was in "Quigley".  Not even close.
 
 
Roger Ebert agreed
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment